Monday 1 December 2014

Hello Kitty is 40 times cuter than you. Alternatively named: Why is cuteness only for little girls?


Hello Kitty is undisputedly popular. Her image is everywhere - on purses, bags, make-up, t-shirts, jewellery, plates, cushions; in the form of figurines, small plushies, big plushies...

The list goes on.

Kitty's co-stars however, the equally cute My Melody, Cinnamoroll and Little Twin Stars, to name a few, are seemingly absent in the U.K.

Yet Hello Kitty remains.

Kitty was most probably the first taste of 'kawaii' that I had growing up. It is not too much to say that her infectious sweetness imprinted upon me a fondness for everything cute. Which is maybe why, when I first saw Lolita fashion, I was instantly attracted.

Even though I have moved away from the sugary pinkness of super-sweet, preferring the princessly elegance of more classical leanings, Hello Kitty still has a place in my heart.

Which is why I decided to 'kawaii-up' this Sunday, to go to a Hello Kitty birthday event this weekend, marking 40 years of Miss Kitty White, the cutest cat-like little girl from London. 

Mandatory selfies included.






The event, a very small function at a local town, was rather erroneously advertised as a Hello Kitty birthday party, for the first half-hour saw no Kitty, but a children's entertainer. He was very good at his job, but I wanted to see Kitty!

Eventually I lined up behind 30 other small children to have my picture taken with 'Kitty' (a lady in a costume, but, shh! the children!). 

Cute, right?



It is apparent that while Hello Kitty has been welcomed with open arms, the kawaii-ness that comes with her is still very much a concept largely reserved for children. A pigtailed 9 year old with a penchant for Miss White? Sure. Someone 10 years older? (Although, someone thought I was 12 years old the other day.) Perish the thought.

Oh well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment